Our simple and easy-to-use RNIB PenFriend 2 enables you to record your own audio labels for a wide range of items in and around the home, at school and work. When you need to identify the item, simply place the PenFriend on to the label and it will play back your recording! It can also be used as an MP3 music player.
The four tactile operating buttons are yellow to provide a high-contrast against the black-casing of the RNIB PenFriend. Each label holds a message up to one hour long and you can record new messages onto any label to reuse them where possible. Instructions on how to get started with your PenFriend are built into the packaging and are announced in an English female voice; simply switch on the device and touch one of the tactile instruction hot-spots on the packaging.
Please buy extra label packs in sequence to ensure you don't have duplicate labels; they are individually numbered. If you have two with identical numbers both labels will read out the newest recording attached to that number.
Use your audio labeller to:
- label food items - including freezer food, with use-by dates, cooking instructions and dietary information
- identify your shopping – label items as you place them into your basket, so you know what they are when you get home
- place audible notes on medicine packaging and cosmetics
- organise household paperwork and personal documents
- identify your film and music collections
- label your clothing – washing instructions, colours, coordinating items of clothing and accessories
- organise your gardening seed packets and potting tools
- use as an MP3 music player; can store approximately 1,000 songs.
Items supplied with your RNIB PenFriend inside a plastic storage box:
- one RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller; 8GB internal memory stores up to 250 hours of recordings. Memory is expandable by SD card up to 16GB
- 127 mixed-size labels in orange and yellow; small round, large round, large square
- 10 magnetic labels
- one keyfob; with four recording-spots
- one lanyard
- getting started audio instruction card; with 15 ideas for using your RNIB PenFriend 2
- two AAA batteries already inserted; replacement batteries are available: standard (BAT03) or rechargeable (BAT08).
To back up and manage your recordings, please download the free Label Manager software and choose from two interfaces:
- Audio interface one: for quick backup and file restoration - we recommend using most of the time
- Graphic interface two: for more advanced users who wish to micro-control the allocation of audio files to their stickers. Note this interface is not compatible with JAWS and you may require sighted assistance.
Convert your original RNIB PenFriend recordings to use on your RNIB PenFriend 2
If you're replacing your original RNIB PenFriend with an RNIB PenFriend 2 you can easily transfer all your recordings from your old pen to your new one. This means you can still listen to all your recordings from the same labels. Download the PenFriend Tool Transfer Wizard on a Windows based computer. Save the programme to your hard disk and then select the setup.exe file to install the Wizard and run the programme by selecting the PenFriend Transfer Wizard icon on your desktop. Connect your original PenFriend with the USB cable and follow the instructions. The transfer takes about five minutes to complete and afterwards you can continue to use your original PenFriend as well as your new PenFriend 2.
Accessories to order separately
- RNIB PenFriend white labels (DL77-82, DL88-89, DL117)
- RNIB PenFriend coloured labels (DL112-113)
- RNIB PenFriend magnetic labels (DL111, DL119)
- RNIB PenFriend laundry labels (DL96-98, DL118)
- USB cable, Male A to mini USB (HT263)
- SD card, if you wish to expand memory (not available from RNIB). File backup and using an SD card: If you’ve access to a Windows-based computer you can back up and manage your recordings with the free Label Manager software. You’ll need a USB cable (not included) to access the Label Manager. Changing the SD card to expand memory (replacement not supplied) requires a computer. Sighted assistance may be required for the process of removing or replacing the SD card.
This product page is for the English language RNIB PenFriend 2. If you'd like the instruction card and spoken menus in a different language we have French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish devices available.
- RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller, French (DL110FRENCH)
- RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller, German (DL110GERMAN)
- RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller, Italian (DL110ITALIAN)
- RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller, Polish (DL110POLISH)
- RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller, Spanish (DL110SPANISH)
We will make every effort to deliver within 5 working days, however if you have not received your goods within 10 working days please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 who will be able to help you. Please note that for special orders the delivery can take up to six weeks and this is stated in the product details, where relevant.
Most of our products and some publications in large print (16 point and above) can be sent by freepost under the 'Articles for the Blind' scheme.
However, the Articles for the Blind scheme offers no guarantees of delivery or insurance for valuable items. We do, therefore, have to make delivery charges for some high value products which need to be sent by a special delivery method. Where a product incurs a delivery charge this is highlighted in the product details and will be added to your order at checkout.
When we send your products, the package will include a 'dispatch note' with details of the contents. It is really important to check this against the actual contents of the package and alert us immediately (within 7 working days) of receiving the order about any discrepancies.
If you find this product is unsuitable for your needs, or is faulty, then follow our returns instructions to ensure we deal with your enquiry efficiently. Some products cannot be returned. More information can be found in product description where applicable.
Special order products are non-returnable unless faulty. We kindly ask our customers to ensure that any faulty products being returned are packaged securely for stable transit, or the warranty may be voided. Where possible, please use the original packaging. These include specially ordered items that are not part of our standard range. This also includes personalised items, including computer packages, as well as special order canes, walking sticks and more.