The simple and easy-to-use RNIB PenFriend enables you to record your own audio labels for a wide range of items in and around the home, at school and work. When you need to identify the item, simply place the PenFriend on to the label and it will play back your recording!
- Supplied with 130 unique labels; each can hold a message up to one hour long.
- 4GB internal memory stores 125 hours of recordings. Memory is expandable by SD card up to 16GB.
- Tactile high contrast operating buttons and dedicated power button.
- Get started instructions built-into the packaging, simply switch on the PenFriend and touch the instruction hotspot. Announced in a German female voice.
- You can record new messages onto any label to reuse them where possible.
- Please buy extra label packs in sequence to ensure you don't have duplicate labels; they are individually numbered. If you have two with identical numbers both labels will read out the newest recording attached to that number.
Use your audio labeller to:
- label food items – including freezer food, with use by dates, cooking instructions and dietary information.
- identify your shopping – label items as you place them into your basket, so you know what they are when you get home.
- place audible notes on medicine packaging and cosmetics.
- organise household paperwork and personal documents.
- identify your film and music collections.
- label your clothing – washing instructions, colours, coordinating items of clothing and accessories.
Get the most out of your RNIB PenFriend with our hints and tips guide.
Items supplied with your RNIB PenFriend:
- one RNIB PenFriend 2 audio labeller.
- pre-installed 4GB SD card.
- 127 mixed sized labels in orange and yellow; small round, large round, large square.
- three magnetic disc labels.
- one lanyard.
- one storage box.
- two AAA batteries; replacement batteries are available: standard (BAT03) or rechargeable (BAT08).
Accessories to order separately
Available from RNIB:
- RNIB PenFriend white labels (DL77-82, DL88-89, DL117)
- RNIB PenFriend coloured labels (DL112-113)
- RNIB PenFriend laundry labels (DL96-98, DL118)
Not available from RNIB:
- USB cable, Male A to mini USB
- SD card, if you wish to expand memory. File backup and using an SD card: If you’ve access to a Windows-based computer you can back up and manage your recordings with the free Label Manager software. You’ll need a USB cable (not included) to access the Label Manager. Changing the SD card to expand memory requires a computer. Sighted assistance may be required for the process of removing or replacing the SD card.
Downloadable product instructions:
Standard delivery times
For items we keep in stock at our warehouse, we make every effort to deliver your order within five working days. However if you've not received your goods within seven working days please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 who will be able to help you.
Covid-19 measures: our warehouse and special order suppliers are still operating and dispatching orders at this time. However, please be aware that Royal Mail and couriers are under increased pressure and their delivery timescales may be extended. Your order may take a few extra days to reach you.
We work with partners to deliver products on our behalf. We will pass on your contact information to be able to deliver the product effectively. Whilst delivery is usually within seven days, it may take up to six weeks.
Articles for the Blind scheme
Most of our products and some publications in large print (16 point and above) can be sent by freepost under Royal Mail's "Articles for the Blind" scheme.
However, the Articles for the Blind scheme offers no guarantees of delivery or insurance for valuable items. Therefore we have to use alternative delivery methods, such as courier and Royal Mail services, for higher value orders.
Where a product incurs a delivery charge this is highlighted in the product details and will be added to your order at checkout.
When we send your products, the package will include a "dispatch note" with details of the contents. It is really important to check this against the actual contents of the package and alert us immediately (within seven working days of receiving the order) about any discrepancies.
If you find this product is unsuitable for your needs, or is faulty, then follow our returns instructions to ensure we deal with your enquiry efficiently. Some products cannot be returned. More information can be found in product description where applicable.
Special order products are non-returnable unless faulty. We kindly ask our customers to ensure that any faulty products being returned are packaged securely for stable transit, or the warranty may be voided. Where possible, please use the original packaging. These include specially ordered items that are not part of our standard range. This also includes personalised items, including computer packages, as well as special order canes, walking sticks and more.
- Additional Information