The Orbit Reader 20 is portable and features 20 refreshable eight-dot braille cells. It offers reading books via SD card, simple note-taking, Bluetooth and USB connectivity.
As a stand-alone device, you can read content stored on an SD card that simply inserts into the back of the unit. Prepare and download your pre-translated materials as brf, brl or txt files and transfer them to the SD card provided. Use any braille code, in any language and of any genre including music, maths, or your favourite book.
The Orbit Reader 20 from RNIB comes with pre-installed content, including a variety of books and a searchable Oxford English Dictionary.
Use Bluetooth to connect to your Apple, Android or Kindle device and access a world of books through reading apps such as Kindle®, Adobe Digital Editions® or iBooks®. The translation into braille is performed by your device's screen reader to give you a quick braille output on your Orbit Reader 20.
Please note, on Orbit Readers shipped before 19 June 2019, firmware can only be upgraded on a machine running the Windows operating system. Please call our Helpline to speak to a Technology for Life advisor who can explain the upgrade procedure, or put you in touch with a local volunteer who may be able to help.
- 20 refreshable eight-dot braille cells; pins represent any six- or eight-dot braille code.
- Eight braille input keys and space bar and two panning control bars.
- Five-way arrow and select control keys; navigation commands let you easily move around books and magazines.
- SD card; pre-installed with a selection of books when purchased from RNIB.
- Reads content of files on an SD card for stand-alone operation.
- Connects to computers and portable devices via USB or Bluetooth for use with a screen reader.
- Simple note-taking capability.
- Micro-B USB charging/communication port.
- Dimensions (width depth height): 168mm x 112mm x 35.56mm (6.61 x 4.41 x 1.4 inches).
- Weight: 450grams (0.99lb).
You can find answers to Frequently Asked Questions on the Orbit Research website. The Orbit Reader 20 support page hosts the most current version of the firmware and user manual and other supporting documents and information.
RNIB Connect brings people together (locally, regionally and nationally) with similar experiences, interests or identities to share information, knowledge and skills. You’ll receive support and encouragement to both organise and access local activities and events. Connect strengthens the voices of blind and partially sighted people in campaigning for change. Being an RNIB Connect member enables a deeper relationship with RNIB to influence and support what we do and how we do it.
If you're not already an RNIB Connect member, you can sign up when you order to receive the discounted member price for this product; simply call our Helpline on 0303 123 9999.
The Orbit will arrive with a Quick Start Guide in braille (Grade 2) and a Quick Start Guide in print, the full instructions will also be on the SD card which will be in the machine.
Downloadable product instructions:
- Print instructions for HT358 (DOCX)
- Uncontracted (Grade 1) Braille instructions for HT358 File 1 of 2 (BRF)
- Uncontracted (Grade 1) Braille instructions for HT358 File 2 of 2 (BRF)
- Contracted (Grade 2) Braille instructions for HT358 File 1 of 2 (BRF)
- Contracted (Grade 2) Braille instructions for HT358 File 2 of 2 (BRF)
- Audio instructions for HT358 (ZIP)
Quick Start instructions:
- Print Quick Start Guide for HT358 (DOCX) - included with device
- Uncontracted (Grade 1) Braille Quick Start Guide for HT358 (BRF)
- Contracted (Grade 2) Braille Quick Start Guide for HT358 (BRF) - included with device
- Audio Quick Start Guide for HT358 (MP3).
Returns and warranty:
- 12-month warranty
- If your Orbit Reader 20 is faulty within the first 12 months we’ll replace with a new unit from stock; we must receive your faulty unit back first. Please keep your SD card.
Standard delivery times
For items we keep in stock at our warehouse, we make every effort to deliver your order within five working days. However if you've not received your goods within seven working days please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 who will be able to help you.
Covid-19 measures: our warehouse and special order suppliers are still operating and dispatching orders at this time. However, please be aware that Royal Mail and couriers are under increased pressure and their delivery timescales may be extended. Your order may take a few extra days to reach you.
We work with partners to deliver products on our behalf. We will pass on your contact information to be able to deliver the product effectively. Whilst delivery is usually within seven days, it may take up to six weeks.
Articles for the Blind scheme
Most of our products and some publications in large print (16 point and above) can be sent by freepost under Royal Mail's "Articles for the Blind" scheme.
However, the Articles for the Blind scheme offers no guarantees of delivery or insurance for valuable items. Therefore we have to use alternative delivery methods, such as courier and Royal Mail services, for higher value orders.
Where a product incurs a delivery charge this is highlighted in the product details and will be added to your order at checkout.
When we send your products, the package will include a "dispatch note" with details of the contents. It is really important to check this against the actual contents of the package and alert us immediately (within seven working days of receiving the order) about any discrepancies.
If you find this product is unsuitable for your needs, or is faulty, then follow our returns instructions to ensure we deal with your enquiry efficiently. Some products cannot be returned. More information can be found in product description where applicable.
Special order products are non-returnable unless faulty. We kindly ask our customers to ensure that any faulty products being returned are packaged securely for stable transit, or the warranty may be voided. Where possible, please use the original packaging. These include specially ordered items that are not part of our standard range. This also includes personalised items, including computer packages, as well as special order canes, walking sticks and more.
- Additional Information