The Duxbury Braille Translator (DBT) is a Braille translation software for conversion of electronic documents to braille.
The process of translating into braille is a complicated one, in particular in languages such as English and French where "grade 2" braille is used, involving "contractions" that are based, in part, upon pronunciation. Equally, formatting of braille pages can be very time consuming. DBT provides translation and formatting facilities to automate the process of conversion from regular print to braille (and vice versa). It also provides word-processing facilities for working directly in the braille as well as the print. "Fonts" are used for displaying the braille.
- Simple to use Braille conversion software with professional, accurate results
- Bidirectional (print-to-braille and braille-to-print) translation for most languages; fully supports Unified English Braille (UEB)
- DBT handles over 140 different languages; intermediate levels (between grade 1 and 2) for American and British braille
- DBT runs on Windows XP*, up to Windows 10
- Built-in interline printing to have ink-braille and print displayed together, ideal for easy proofing and as a teaching tool
- A "translated line" showing the "other" form in either print or braille files
- Presentation of both print or braille in either WYSIWYG (what-you-see-is-what-you-get) or coded (how-you-get-what-you-want) views in the word-processing screen, with easy switching between views
- Ability to include tactile graphics files for mixed text-and-graphic documents
- Duxbury DBT can import Microsoft Word 2007/2010/2013 files, as well as Open Office files
- British braille layout according to the Braille Authority of the United Kingdom (BAUK) customs
- Over 100 formatting and translation codes for a high level of flexibility
- Help screens throughout the program
- Prepare Maths in Word, using "MathType" for equations, then simply open in DBT and translate
- A spell-checker with 300,000-word dictionary with "Quick Find Misspelling" feature
- Embosses to all major braille printers
Please note: Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP, hence support may be limited.
We work with partners to deliver products on our behalf. If you’re buying a special order product, we will pass on your contact information to our partners to enable delivery. We may also quote extended delivery times, outside of our standard terms and conditions for these products.
Software products are non-returnable.
Price includes delivery charge of £7.50
We will make every effort to deliver within 5 working days, however if you have not received your goods within 10 working days please contact our Helpline on 0303 123 9999 who will be able to help you. Please note that for special orders the delivery can take up to six weeks and this is stated in the product details, where relevant.
Most of our products and some publications in large print (16 point and above) can be sent by freepost under the 'Articles for the Blind' scheme.
However, the Articles for the Blind scheme offers no guarantees of delivery or insurance for valuable items. We do, therefore, have to make delivery charges for some high value products which need to be sent by a special delivery method. Where a product incurs a delivery charge this is highlighted in the product details and will be added to your order at checkout.
When we send your products, the package will include a 'dispatch note' with details of the contents. It is really important to check this against the actual contents of the package and alert us immediately (within 7 working days) of receiving the order about any discrepancies.
If you find this product is unsuitable for your needs, or is faulty, then follow our returns instructions to ensure we deal with your enquiry efficiently. Some products cannot be returned. More information can be found in product description where applicable.
Special order products are non-returnable unless faulty. We kindly ask our customers to ensure that any faulty products being returned are packaged securely for stable transit, or the warranty may be voided. Where possible, please use the original packaging. These include specially ordered items that are not part of our standard range. This also includes personalised items, including computer packages, as well as special order canes, walking sticks and more.