Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB) course - Music moduleBCMUSIC
This self-study course is for sighted learners such as parents, teachers and teaching assistants who support individuals using braille music and have completed the RNIB Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB). Students receive all the materials and tuition needed to complete the course, which covers the majority of signs required up to GCSE level. It consists of a year of self-study, with tutor-marked assessments and an exam at the end.
Note: This is a follow-on course from the RNIB Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB). As a result, students must have completed the RNIB Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB), preferably with a grade C or higher, before enrolling on this course.
The course includes the following:
- Braille music notes and rests
- The octave sign
- Key signatures, accidentals and time signatures
- The slur, tie and other phrasing marks
- Dynamics and expression
- Nuances and accent signs
- Print section endings and their repeats
- The Braille repeat
- Irregular note grouping
- Stem signs
- Common music layouts
- Miscellaneous items
It does not cover any of the following:
- Material covered in the RNIB Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB) Course
- Other music notation not listed above. Please refer to Krolick, B. [ed.] (1996) New International Manual of Braille Music Notation for information on signs not covered
- Exam-specific information. Please refer to the document G021 Braille Music and Unified English Braille on the UKAAF website
- Skills in teaching braille to blind individuals
There are two starting dates for the course each year: 1 February and 1 October. The closing date for receipt of applications for each intake is 23 January or 23 September respectively. Any applications received after these dates will be held until the next enrolment deadline.
Please note: You will not receive a physical product when purchasing this course. All course material will be sent to you via email. Please ensure you download and complete the application form (Word file) found in the User Guide tab on this page and return prior to the course deadline.
Certificate in Contracted Braille (UEB) Course - Music Module