Our simple and easy-to-use RNIB PenFriend 3 enables you to record your own audio labels for a wide range of items in and around the home, at school and work. When you need to identify the item, simply place the PenFriend on to the label and it will play back your recording! It can also be used as an MP3 music player and Talking Book player.
Instructions on how to get started with your PenFriend are built into the packaging and are announced in an English female voice; simply switch on the device and touch one of the tactile instruction hot-spots on the packaging.
- Internal memory: 16GB internal memory stores up to 500 hours of recordings. Memory is expandable by SD card up to 32GB.
- Each label holds a message up to one hour long.
- Record new messages on to any label to reuse them where possible.
- Four yellow tactile operating buttons contrast against the black casing of the PenFriend.
- Size: 15 × 2.5 × 2cm (5.9 × 0.98 × 0.79 inches).
- Tip size: 1cm (0.3 inches).
- RNIB PenFriend 3 audio labeller
- 21 square tactile labels and 84 small circular orange and yellow self-adhesive labels
- One keyfob; with four recording spots
- “Getting started” audio instruction card; with 15 ideas for using your RNIB PenFriend 3
- Two AAA batteries already inserted; replacement batteries are available.
You must buy extra label packs in sequence to ensure you don't have duplicate labels; they are individually numbered. If you have two with identical numbers both labels will read out the newest recording attached to that number. After you've used the labels supplied with your PenFriend purchase Pack A of the general purpose tactile labels, then Pack B and so on.
Please note, the PenFriend does not scan and read text.
- Label food items – including freezer food, with use-by dates, cooking instructions and dietary information.
- Identify your shopping – label items as you place them into your basket, so you know what they are when you get home.
- Place audible notes on medicine packaging and cosmetics.
- Organise household paperwork and personal documents.
- Identify your film and music collections.
- Label your clothing – washing instructions, colours, coordinating items of clothing and accessories.
- Organise your gardening seed packets and potting tools.
- Listen to music – you can store approximately 1,000 songs in MP3 format.
- Listen to Talking Books – you can save one book at a time.
RNIB Technology Grant Scheme
The RNIB PenFriend is available to apply for through the RNIB Technology Grant Scheme. Other items include video magnifiers, the Orbit Reader 20, kitchen equipment, clocks and watches, phones and DAISY players. For further information visit rnib.org.uk/grants or call 0303 123 9999.
Not available from RNIB
- USB cable, Male A to mini-USB.
- SD card, if you wish to expand memory. File backup and using an SD card: If you’ve access to a Windows-based computer you can back up and manage your recordings with the free Label Manager software. You’ll need a USB cable (not included) to access the Label Manager. Changing the SD card to expand memory requires a computer. Sighted assistance may be required for the process of removing or replacing the SD card.
This item is eligible for VAT exemption.
Hints and tips guide
Downloadable product instructions
- Print instructions for DL128 (DOCX)
- Braille instructions for DL128 (BRF)
- Audio instructions for DL128 (ZIP)
- Visit penfriendlabeller.com for a selection of help videos to get you started with your RNIB PenFriend 3.
File management software
If you’ve access to a Windows-based computer, you can backup and manage your recordings using File Explorer or the free Label Manager software which can be downloaded from penfriendlabeller.com/penfriend-manager. Label Manager offers two access options:
- Audio Interface, which is the Jaws-ready simple backup system.
- Graphic Interface for which you may require sighted assistance.
Most of the utility functions, such as backups/restore, can be done on both interfaces. Use the Graphics Interface or File Explorer for loading music and Talking Books.
Convert your original RNIB PenFriend recordings to use on your RNIB PenFriend 3
If you're replacing your original RNIB PenFriend or PenFriend 2 with an RNIB PenFriend 3 you can transfer all your recordings from your old pen to your new one. This means you can still listen to all your recordings from the same labels. Download the PenFriend Tool Transfer Wizard on a Windows-based computer. Save the programme to your hard disk and then select the setup.exe file to install the Wizard and run the programme by selecting the PenFriend Transfer Wizard icon on your desktop. Connect your original PenFriend with the USB cable and follow the instructions. The transfer takes about five minutes to complete and afterwards you can continue to use your original PenFriend as well as your new PenFriend 3.