In Your PocketSIGN-IYP
In Your Pocket is a unique voice-controlled device that's simple and easy to use, made possible by artificial intelligence. Designed for people who are blind or living with some sight loss, it combines a smart phone, media player and personal assistance tools.
In Your Pocket uses the new Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4s as its handset, making the device fast, but with a long life. The handset has hard buttons you can feel, as well as a touchscreen. As one of Samsung’s ‘Rugged’ models it is dust-resistant and can be immersed in 1.5 meters of freshwater for up to 30 minutes (it has an IP68 rating). Despite this, you can still replace the battery or extend the memory with an SDHC card.
In Your Pocket comes with out-of-the-box access to the RNIB Library and four other audio book libraries, providing a virtually unlimited supply of books – with no borrowing limits and no waiting times. You can search for, then stream, audio books just by using your voice. For example, say “Find me books about Martians by Wells” to be offered War of the Worlds. Just say “Yes”, to start streaming instantly.
You can also use In Your Pocket to access RNIB Newsagent Service’s 275 talking newspapers and magazines, as well as a huge variety of podcasts and internet radio stations. There is something for everyone.
With In Your Pocket you can use your voice to make calls and send messages; just say “Call James Bond” or “Send a message to Moneypenny”. You can also use voice commands to create and manage your contacts – something you cannot do on other smartphones with accessibility or voice help. (If you want to create contacts in bulk, there is an accessible web portal that, among other things, will allow you to upload contacts to your handset as a CSV file.)
Use the emergency assistance button to reach trusted contacts if necessary. When the button is pressed three times, flagged contacts will be sent a text message saying where you are, and the device will also attempt to ring them. This built-in system is free to use, with no extra or hidden costs.
In Your Pocket includes a selection of personal assistance tools, including a world clock and weather app. You can also set reminders for tasks; for example, “Remind me in 30 minutes to turn the oven on”.
If you are out and about, In Your Pocket can tell you where you are, down to a street address, and tell you what’s around you. It also has a unique outdoor navigation system, called Locations. This allows you to label your own points of interest and get guidance towards them (for example, “Ahead of you, to your slight right, 20 metres”) – useful for setting up waypoints on your favourite walks and regular routes.
In Your Pocket includes a video magnifier to help you read small print on packets of food or medicine, and it can also connect you to the Be My Eyes service with a simple voice command. Just say “Be My Eyes” and the device will connect its microphone, camera and speaker to a Be My Eyes volunteer who can help you with tasks over the video link.
In Your Pocket has a selection of voices you can choose from – you can also adjust the talkback speed. The device has built-in help (both audio and visual) and all over-the-air updates (improvements or new functions) are bundled in.
- In Your Pocket is available with either a 3GB or 10GB plan – check your coverage using the O2 coverage checker website before purchase.
- The 3GB plan provides enough data to stream Talking Books (off Wi-Fi) for about 119 hours per month (about four hours per day).
- The 10GB plan provides enough data to stream Talking Books (off Wi-Fi) for about 396 hours per month (about 14 hours per day).
- The device must be purchased by someone over 18 years old, as they are signing up to a contract and Direct Debit. The device will give access to all RNIB Library and RNIB Newsagent content and does not have a parental lock function.
- Please note: The device will be delivered within five days and may take up to 48 hours to activate on the O2 network.
- The 3GB plan is a £25.99 composite VAT per month, 24-month contract for the device and connectivity on O2. This can also be purchased in a single payment of £619 composite VAT.
- The 10GB plan is a £29.99 composite VAT per month, 24-month contract for the device and connectivity on O2. This can also be purchased in a single payment of £715 composite VAT.
- What you get from RealSAM when you purchase one of these plans: reliable technology, O2 connectivity (3GB or 10GB monthly, capped data allowance and ability to connect to Wi-Fi), RealSAM interactive speech software and a subscription to RNIB Newsagent.
- The device can only be bought with the O2 contract.
- Data is capped, audible messages will be sent when you are reaching the limit. It is not possible to extend the data allowance. For extremely heavy use, it is recommended that users connect to Wi-Fi where possible.
- The device can roam on the mobile network within Europe, this is included in the contract, and can connect to Wi-Fi anywhere internationally.