Perkins Smart braillerBM47
Why the Smart brailler?
- Accelerates Learning: encourages multi-sensory learning through visual, tactile and auditory feedback, increasing the student’s ability to process new information and making learning fun.
- Lightens the load: weighs 20 per cent less than the classic Perkins Brailler, making it easy to transport between home and classroom.
- Integrates with mainstream technology: edits, saves and transfers brailled documents to digital text files via USB, letting sighted teachers or parents read the document on a computer.
- Involves non-braille users: enables better collaboration between students and sighted teachers or parents using Roman letters on the display screen to mirror what is being brailled.
- Reliable support: one year warranty and repair service training availability, ensuring that any problem with your product is resolved quickly.
- Cells per line: 28.
- Lines per page: 26.
- Screen size: 4.3 in (10.9 cm).
- Resolution: 480 X 272 pixels.
- Full right and left margin adjustments to accommodate any paper size and line centering.
- Round paper-feed knobs to enable easy paper loading and unloading.
- Metal carrying handle.
- Fast response time between typing and output.
- Ergonomic design for ease of typing.
- Audible bell sound seven spaces before end of line.
- Carriage release, full horizontal movement between margin stops
- Extension keys available for purchase.
- Weight: 8.5 lb (3.9 kg)
- Dimensions: 14 in L x 5.5 in W x 9.5 in H (34 cm L x 15 cm W x 24 cm H)
In the box
- Perkins Smart brailler.
- User manual in both print and braille.
How to properly maintain your SMART Brailler
The goal of keeping your brailler maintained is to keep them in good, working condition for many years to come. Simple steps to keep your brailler in top working order:
- Store your brailler in a clean dry environment; humid and moist conditions can accelerate corrosion of the metal components.
- Check to make sure you have the latest software.
- Handle with care, as the exterior plastic can break under extreme conditions.
- Clean the exterior of your brailler on a regular basis using a lint free cloth and soft bristle brush.
- Always keep your brailler covered when not in use; doing this will keep dust and debris from entering your brailler and avoid premature loss of motion (sluggish action) to the keys and carriage assembly.
- Send your brailler in to a certified Perkins repair center for regular service; we recommend every 3 – 5 years under normal use. For braillers that are heavily used or exposed to harsh environmental conditions, service more frequently.
Serving and repairs
- Within guarantee: we have partnered with the Royal National College for the Blind (RNC) to support Perkins repairs. If your Perkins brailler is within the one year guarantee period and needs repairing, contact our Helpline for a returns (RMA) number. The original order date must be noted on the RMA.
- Out of guarantee: for out of guarantee service and repairs please contact RNC direct on 0800 027 6574, email [email protected] or send post to Perkins Repairs, RNC, Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DT.
SKU Code: BM47-U
- Colour option Blue
Downloadable user guides
- Quick start guide for BM47 (PDF) - follow these instructions to set up your Smart brailler.
- User manual for BM47 (PDF) - detailed information on the operation of the Smart brailler.
- Save and name file cheat sheet for BM47 (DOCX) - quick easy steps on how to save and name a file.
- Battery replacement guide for BM47 (PDF) - follow these instructions to replace the battery in your Smart brailler.
- Tour script for BM47 (DOCX) - introduces the basic operations and features of the Smart brailler.