The Jumbo cell brailler has all the same great features of the Classic Perkins brailler, but also has enlarged braille cells which is useful for people who find standard braille difficult to read. Upwards embossing lets you check braille as you write. The brailler is comes with a protective dust cover, wooden eraser and built-in carry handle.
Jumbo braille, also called expanded-cell braille or large cell braille, uses the same dot combinations as standard braille - the difference is in the cell spacing (not dot size). The spacing between the dots and cells is increased a little bit, allowing the characters to be more easily identified by touch readers who struggle with the closeness of dots in standard braille. The dots themselves are the same size as those used in standard braille.
The Perkins brailler is a durable braille writing machine used by people of all ages to produce braille for school, work or leisure. The wide paper length accommodates complex math, note taking and other literacy activities from early learning through adulthood.
The metal casing, closed body architecture (limiting dust accumulation), and over 66 years of craftsmanship, result in a resilient product. The brailler comes with a protective dust cover, wooden eraser and built-in carry handle.
- The brailler is metal with and enamel finish in blue or grey.
- Enlarged braille cells creating more space between dots to accommodate people with tactile challenges.
- 40 per cent larger cell than the Classic, and the distance between the cells is 50 per cent wider.
- 28 cells per line, 13 lines per page.
- Cell size: dot to dot 0.31cm, cell spacing 0.94cm (compared to 0.22cm and 0.61cm of the Classic).
- Paper size maximum: 29.2 × 35.6cm (11.5 × 14 inches).
- Same great features as the Classic : durable, can use for complex math and language, and time tested.
- Ergonomic design for ease of typing.
- Adjustable audible end of line alert. The bell will sound seven spaces before the end of line.
- Full right and left margin adjustments to accommodate any paper size and line centering.
- Protective dust cover and wooden eraser supplied.
- Weight: 4.8kg (10.6lb).
- We cannot guarantee the colour you will receive.
The goal of keeping your brailler maintained is to keep it in good, working condition for many years to come. Braillers can appear in near mint condition even after 50 years if they're kept in a good environment, and are maintained and serviced properly.
Simple steps to keep your brailler in top working order:
- Store your brailler in a clean dry environment; humid and moist conditions can accelerate corrosion of the metal components.
- Clean the exterior of your brailler on a regular basis using a lint free cloth and soft bristle brush.
- Always keep your brailler covered when not in use; doing this will keep dust and debris from entering your brailler and avoid premature loss of motion (sluggish action) to the keys and carriage assembly.
- Send your brailler in to a certified Perkins repair center for regular service; we recommend every three to five years under normal use. For braillers that are heavily used or exposed to harsh environmental conditions, service more frequently.
Serving and repairs
- Withing guarantee: we have partnered with the Royal National College for the Blind (RNC) to support Perkins repairs. If you Perkins is within the one year guarantee period and needs repairing, contact our Helpline for a returns (RMA) number.
- Out of guarantee: for out of guarantee service and repairs please contact RNC direct on 0800 027 6574, email [email protected] or send post to Perkins Repairs, RNC, Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DT.
This item is eligible for VAT exemption.