Perkins Classic braillerBM36
The Perkins brailler is a durable braille writing machine used by people of all ages to produce braille for school, work or leisure. The wide paper length accommodates complex math, note taking and other literacy activities from early learning through adulthood.
Since it's invention in 1951 it's become the most widely used mechanical braille writer in the world. The metal casing, closed body architecture (limiting dust accumulation), and over 66 years of craftsmanship, result in a resilient product. The brailler comes with a protective dust cover, wooden eraser and built-in carry handle.
- The brailler is metal with and enamel finish in blue or grey.
- 42 cells per line, 25 lines per page.
- Standard braille cell size: dot to dot 0.22cm, cell spacing 0.61cm.
- Paper size maximum: 29.2 × 35.6cm (11.5 × 14 inches).
- Heavyweight paper is recommended (ideal paper weight 250gsm).
- Ergonomic design for ease of typing.
- Adjustable audible end of line alert. The bell will sound seven spaces before the end of line.
- Full right and left margin adjustments to accommodate any paper size and line centering.
- Protective dust cover and wooden eraser supplied.
- Weight: 4.8kg (10.6lb).
- We cannot guarantee the colour you will receive (blue or grey).
The goal of keeping your brailler maintained is to keep it in good, working condition for many years to come. Braillers can appear in near mint condition even after 50 years if they're kept in a good environment, and are maintained and serviced properly.
Simple steps to keep your brailler in top working order:
- Store your brailler in a clean dry environment; humid and moist conditions can accelerate corrosion of the metal components.
- Clean the exterior of your brailler on a regular basis using a lint free cloth and soft bristle brush.
- Always keep your brailler covered when not in use; doing this will keep dust and debris from entering your brailler and avoid premature loss of motion (sluggish action) to the keys and carriage assembly.
- Send your brailler in to a certified Perkins repair center for regular service; we recommend every three to five years under normal use. For braillers that are heavily used or exposed to harsh environmental conditions, service more frequently.
Serving and repairs
- Within guarantee: we have partnered with the Royal National College for the Blind (RNC) to support Perkins repairs. If your Perkins brailler is within the one year guarantee period and needs repairing, contact our Helpline for a returns (RMA) number. The original order date must be noted on the RMA.
- Out of guarantee: for out of guarantee service and repairs please contact RNC direct on 0800 027 6574, email [email protected] or send post to Perkins Repairs, RNC, Venns Lane, Hereford, HR1 1DT.